This months Spotlight athlete is Jared Browning and his wife Tracye. Jared recently won the CrossFit Zachary nutrition challenge. Nutrition Challenge . Jared has been with us a short time. In that time he has demonstrated a great level of commitment and discipline. Being a father and a husband he has made the adjustment to come workout at 5:30 a.m. in order for his wife to come workout in the afternoon class. I speak for everyone else when I say Jared is the nicest guy around the gym. Myself being from California, see Jared as the prime example of a southern man! Continue reading to learn more about Jared.
Started your journey at CFZ: 2nd week of June 2015
Married to: Tracye Browning
Children: School: Maddox (5) & Kendall (2) Maddox attends West Feliciana
Occupation: Operations First Line Supervisor for ExxonMobil
- How/Why did you start CrossFit Zachary? My wife, Eric Templet and Josh Cook talked me into it.
- First CrossFit WOD? Not sure the name. Fabian had me attempt double unders, goblet squats and tire flips that equaled 55 reps each. I barely made it.
- What has improved since starting CFZ? My fitness level, diet and self confidence
- How has CF changed your life? It has improved my quality of life. One noticeable change is my energy level.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? I like power cleans
- What are your short-term and long-term CF Goals? Short term goal is to try and participate at least 3 times a week. My long term goal is to be able to complete all WODS Rx
- What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? I enjoy hunting and fishing
- What’s your favorite quote? “If you gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.”
Started your journey at CFZ: June 2015
Married to: Jared Browning
Children: Maddox and Kendall School: Bains
Occupation: Auditor at Hannis T. Bourgeois
- How/Why did you start CrossFit Zachary? I’ve played sports as long as I can remember and have always been very competitive. After I had my kids, I couldn’t seem to find the time to commit to myself. I would gain weight, diet, lose weight, and then start back over again. I wasn’t physically in shape anymore and I was lacking motivation to do anything about it. I had several friends doing crossfit and my sister began doing it as well. You would think hearing stories about these crazy, intense workouts might scare me away, but it did just the opposite, it gave me the motivation I was looking for. I love to compete and I love to be challenged, and I have found the perfect place to get plenty of each!
- First CrossFit WOD? All I remember is that it included Donkey Kicks!
- What has improved since starting CFZ? Everything! I can do double unders (sometimes) and box jumps, both of which I thought would be impossible the first few times I tried them.
- How has CF changed your life? Since I have started crossfit, I have noticed lots of physical improvements, which definitely makes me happy. I have more energy to play with my kids. And believe it not, I’m less moody (no comment from you Jared!)
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? If you asked me if I had a least favorite, I think I would have a more definite answer! As for a favorite, I would go with any type of endurance workout.
- What are your short-term and long-term CF Goals? Short term goal, consistently string together double unders and do a pull up! Long Term, be able to do RX on my workouts.
- What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? All time favorite song to dance to….Sir Mix-a-Lot’s Baby Got Back!
- What’s your favorite quote? All you need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.